Archaeological appraisal of St John's Church, Wilberfoss

Principal investigator: Nicola Toop
Level: External project (UK only)

We are preparing an archaeological appraisal for the PCC which will inform interpretation of the church in the form of a guidebook and website. We are looking at the fabric of the church itself, but also wanted to place the Church of St John, and the adjacent Benedictine Priory, into its wider landscape context, and to understand the existing landscape that the ecclesiastical complex developed in. We know that there were two Roman roads in the vicinity (one under the A1079, one not followed by modern routes), and that the village place-name indicates Anglian origins, and that the priory was established by c.1150, but there is little concrete archaeological evidence for preceding activity, or for any possible earlier church. We would like to look in more detail at the finds from the immediate area in order to assess the nature and character of activity prior to the establishment of the church and to better understand the development of the village.

Referee: Martin Carver (York University)

Audit data

  • Created: 5 months ago
  • Created by: Sam Moorhead

Other formats: this page is available as xml json representations.