Back to simple search | Back to advanced search

    You searched for:

    • Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
    • Created by: Teresa Gilmore

  • Thumbnail image of WMID-49DD1B

Record ID: WMID-49DD1B
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete unifacial quartzite handaxe, of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (400, 000 BC to 50, 000 BC). The quartzite handaxe has been struck from a pebble core. It has been worked unifacially (one side). Approximately 50% of the pebble has been worked. Two large flakes have been removed, to create the main shape, with a couple of smaller flakes removed from the right hand side to create a slightly serrated edge. It measures 102.1 mm in length, 58.5 mm wide and 33.1 mm thick. It weighs 314 g. The quartzite is a mid brown colour, with a couple of curved red veins.
Created on: Thursday 13th November 2014
Last updated: Tuesday 25th November 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2E33A5

Record ID: WMID-2E33A5
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite subcordate biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The handaxe exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Due to rolling, it can not be approximated how much of the biface has been worked. The biface has a pointed oval shape with a curved butt. The butt has been hammered flat and is dark brown. More visible from the exterior face the right hand edge has a slight concave inwards towards the tip before rounding off. …
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2DFE06

Record ID: WMID-2DFE06
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite subcordate biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The handaxe is sub circular in plan, and exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 75% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or rind covering the remaining 25% of the surface. This biface has a curved thick profile. The butt is curved and smooth on both faces. The exterior face has been knapped from about a third from the butt. Th…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2DE336

Record ID: WMID-2DE336
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
An incomplete struck / knapped quartzite pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The handaxe is incomplete as the tip has been broken away. The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84).Approximately 100% of the surface has been worked, with none of the original surface or cortex remaining. The biface is a pointed oval shape and red/brown in colour, with a thick profile, though it may well have thinned towards the tip. The exterior side o…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2DD114

Record ID: WMID-2DD114
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite backed knife (handaxe variant) on a transverse flake of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). 100% of the surface has been worked, with none of the original surface or cortex remaining. This biface has a curved oval/egg shape, the tip being more pointed than the butt, with a thick curved profile. Both tip and butt are curved. The interior side has a central rise which has two er…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Wednesday 29th January 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2DB604

Record ID: WMID-2DB604
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite subcordate biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 55% of the surface is cortex, with the remaining 45% being worked. The biface has a curved profile, thick at the butt and which thins towards the tip.The butt is curved, smooth and made of cortex. The exterior is a smooth, light grey speckled with red/brown cortex face. The interior side has a point…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2DA4E4

Record ID: WMID-2DA4E4
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84).100% of the surface has been worked, with no visible cortex remaining. The biface is has a pointed oval shape with a curved base and a thick profile, especially at the center point. No cortex is visible and the biface exhibits little sign of working other than the overall shape of the handaxe. The exterior face is da…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D9001

Record ID: WMID-2D9001
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
An incomplete struck / knapped quartzite subcordate biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84).Approximately 75% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 25% of the surface. The biface is trapezoidal in shape with a thick profile at the butt which thins towards the tip. Though it may have once had a pointed tip. The butt is smooth and the bottom of the in…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D7D93

Record ID: WMID-2D7D93
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite plano-convex pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 70% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or rind covering the remaining 30% of the surface. This biface is trapezoidal in shape and has a curved thick profile, which thins at the tip. The butt is curved and smooth only on the exterior face. The exterior side has been k…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D6AA0

Record ID: WMID-2D6AA0
Object type: PICK
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Awaiting validation Find awaiting validation
A complete struck / knapped quartzite unifacial triangular pick of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The pick exhibits working on the interior (upper) face, concentrated around the tip but no working has been done to the exterior (lower) side; therefore it is a pick and not a biface (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 20% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 80% of the surface. The pick has a curved ovular butt with a triangular tip. Where the he dark grey/brown cortex has been knapped …
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Wednesday 28th August 2013
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D52C0

Record ID: WMID-2D52C0
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 100% of the surface has been worked, with none of the original surface or cortex being visible. This biface has a rhomboidal shape and a thick slightly curved profile, which thins somewhat at the tip. The butt is curved and has been worked. The interior face has been heavily knapped and struck flat on …
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D3554

Record ID: WMID-2D3554
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite plano-convex pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84).Approximatly 80% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 20% of the surface. The biface is brown with a red/purple tip and has a pointed oval shape with a thick profile at the butt which thins towards the tip. The butt is curved and on the interior side …
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2D0D24

Record ID: WMID-2D0D24
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite subcordate handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC). The handaxe exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 60% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 40% of the surface. The biface has a slightly curved trapezoidal shape, with a thick curved profile. The exterior side is smooth cortex and displays chemical damage due to water, visible as two abrasion marks, …
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-2CD9C1

Record ID: WMID-2CD9C1
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped flint naviform handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 40,000 BC) The handaxe exhibits working on both dorsal (upper) and ventral (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Debenath. A and Dibble, H. L.,1994, 126). Approximately 85% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 15% of the surface. The biface has a rhomboid shape with a thick butt in profile which thins towards the tip and is a cream/yellow colour. On the dorsal side, roughly central about 20 mm from the butt…
Created on: Tuesday 2nd July 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-8583D7

Record ID: WMID-8583D7
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete struck / knapped quartzite pointed biface handaxe of Lower and / or Middle Palaeolithic dating (c. 800, 000 BC to c. 180,000 BC). The biface exhibits working on both interior (upper) and exterior (lower) faces, making it a biface handaxe (Graf, A., 2004, 84). Approximately 55% of the surface has been worked, with the original surface or cortex covering the remaining 45% of the surface. The biface has a pointed oval shape, with a thick slightly curved profile which thins towards the tip. The butt is a dark brown/orange smooth cortex, with the worked surface being a lig…
Created on: Monday 24th June 2013
Last updated: Monday 10th October 2016
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WMID-9053B7

Record ID: WMID-9053B7
Object type: HANDAXE
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Staffordshire
Workflow stage: Published Find published
A complete possible hand axe of possible Lower Palaeolithic dating (c. 480,000 BC -c. 130,000 BC). The hand axe is sub rectangular in plan. and sub oval in plan. Both front and back exhibit a central ridge, with possible diagonal ridges radiating out towards the edge. The hand axe has been severely weathered, with multiple little 'pock' marks present over the surface. This weathering makes it hard to determine whether it has been deliberately worked or whether it is natural. It has been made from a quartzite or similar stone. It measures 96.33 mm in length, 79.62 mm wide and 30.…
Created on: Thursday 25th April 2013
Last updated: Thursday 8th May 2014
Spatial data recorded.


  • Thumbnail image of WAW-EC5E20

Record ID: WAW-EC5E20
Object type: CHOPPER
Broad period: PALAEOLITHIC
County: Shropshire
Workflow stage: Awaiting validation Find awaiting validation
A possible Upper Palaeolithic flint chopper / tool, possibly dating to between 40, 000 BC and 10, 000 BC. The find consists of a sub oval piece of a light brown flint nodule. It has been formed from either a flake of a large nodule or from the nodule itself. The flint tool has been damaged by movement in the soil due to plough roll and as such is badly abraded. There is a small amount of evidence of direct percussion (conchoidal ripples) to the distal edge, to potentially form a serrated edge. However this could be the result of damage due to plough roll. The flint t…
Created on: Tuesday 27th July 2010
Last updated: Wednesday 28th July 2010
No spatial data available.


Records per page: 10 20 40 100

Only results with images:
Only results with 3D content:

Sort your search by:

Which direction?

Total results available: 17
Search server index: asgard

You are viewing records: 1 - 17.

Search statistics

  • Total quantity: 17
  • Mean quantity: 1.000
  • Maximum: 1

Filter your search

Institution

1 - 17 of 17 records.

Other formats: this page is available as json xml rss atom kml geojson qrcode representations.