IOW-18717E: Medieval: Pilgrim Ampulla

Rights Holder: The Portable Antiquities Scheme
CC License:


Image use policy

Our images can be used under a CC BY attribution licence (unless stated otherwise).

AMPULLA

Unique ID: IOW-18717E

Object type certainty: Certain
Workflow status: Awaiting validation Find awaiting validation

An incomplete Medieval lead alloy pilgrim ampulla (c 1300-c. 1500).

The neck has been removed and one suspension loop is missing, although the stubs of the loop are present.

The circular body has a raised crown on one side and a 'compass-drawn' flower of four petals on the other side. The crown is now barely visible. Between each petal there is raised hatching. Below each suspension loop the edges are bevelled on both faces. The neck has been deliberately cut off the body and the edges of the cuts has been tightly closed together and sealed. The body has been pressed inwards from the crown side. There are two deliberate cut marks on the base of the body.

This ampulla is dark grey and worn.

Length: 33.8mm; width: 28.8mm; thickness: 7.9mm. Weight: 26.24g.

Ampullae with similar designs have been published (Spencer 1990: 89-90, figs. 182-184).

Brian Spencer, formerly Senior Keeper at the Museum of London, who made a life-time study of ampullae, has written: 'Ampullae or miniature phials were an important kind of souvenir. Generally flask-shaped, but with a narrow, flattish section, they were designed to contain a dose of the thaumaturgic water that was dispensed to pilgrims at many shrines and holy wells. Ampullae were made of tin or lead or tin-lead alloy and were provided with a pair of handles or loops so that they could be suspended from a cord or chain around the wearer's neck. Coming into use in the last quarter of the twelfth century, they were, in England, almost the only kind of pilgrim souvenir to be had during the thirteenth century. They were nevertheless available at a number of shrines, and thanks to returning pilgrims or to local entrepreneurs, probably featured as secondary relics in virtually every thirteenth-century English parish church. Until the early fourteenth century, ampullae took various forms, were frequently inscribed and usually bore representations of the cult-figure or relic that they were intended to commemorate......Ampullae could be comfortably kept on the person or easily hung up in the home, or suspended , for the benefit of livestock, in the stable or cow shed or on the beehive. Ampullae were often donated to the neighbourhood, to be hung in the parish church. Almost as a matter of course, churches throughout thirteenth-century England secured possession of Canterbury ampullae containing what was perhaps the most famous of all elixirs, the water of St Thomas, tinged with the martyr's miracle-working blood' (Spencer, B. 1990, 57-58).

Spencer, B. 1990. Pilgrim Souvenirs and Secular Badges. Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum. Salisbury.

Find of note status

This is a find of note and has been designated: County / local importance

Evidence of reuse: Neck removed and sealed

Subsequent actions

Current location of find: Finder
Subsequent action after recording: Returned to finder

Chronology

Broad period: MEDIEVAL
Period from: MEDIEVAL
Period to: MEDIEVAL
Date from: Circa AD 1300
Date to: Circa AD 1500
Period of reuse: MEDIEVAL

Dimensions and weight

Quantity: 1
Length: 33.8 mm
Width: 28.8 mm
Thickness: 7.9 mm
Weight: 26.24 g

Discovery dates

Date(s) of discovery: Sunday 2nd September 2018 - Sunday 2nd September 2018

Personal details

Found by: This information is restricted for your login.
Recorded by: Mr Frank Basford
Identified by: Mr Frank Basford

Other reference numbers

Other reference: IOW2018-1-274

Materials and construction

Primary material: Lead Alloy
Completeness: Incomplete

Spatial metadata

Region: South East (European Region)
County or Unitary authority: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
To be known as: Isle of Wight

Spatial coordinates


Grid reference source: GPS (from the finder)
Unmasked grid reference accurate to a 1 metre square.

Discovery metadata

Method of discovery: Metal detector
Discovery circumstances: Club rally
Current location: Finder
General landuse: Cultivated land
Specific landuse: Operations to a depth greater than 0.25m

References cited

Similar objects

Find number: IOW-4DD087
Object type: AMPULLA
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
An incomplete Medieval lead alloy pilgrim ampulla (c. 1300-c. 1500). The suspension loops are missing and the rim of the mouth is incomplete.…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind awaiting validation

Find number: IOW-6DD3DB
Object type: AMPULLA
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
A corroded and misshapen fragment of a Medieval cast lead pilgrim ampulla (c. 1300-c. 1500). Due to damage it is irregular in form and wou…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind awaiting validation

Find number: NMS-9349E5
Object type: AMPULLA
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
Incomplete medieval lead ampulla dating to the period c. AD 1350 - 1530. The top of the neck has been crimped, but is no longer sealed. Both h…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind awaiting validation

Timeline of associated dates

Audit data

Recording Institution: IOW
Created: 2 months ago
Updated: 2 months ago

Other formats: this page is available as qrcode json xml geojson pdf rdf representations.