2017-05-24T07:10:39+01:00https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/qrcodehttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/jsonhttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/xmlhttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/geojsonhttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/pdfhttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764/format/rdfhttps://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/437764437764BUC-F183D2PAS4D9F183D00137FFINGER RING4.323.71.1820.49112011T241POST MEDIEVAL16001700A complete post-medieval gold posy ring. The posy ring is circular in plan with a D-shaped section. There is no evidence of a join on the hoop. The exterior of the ring is undecorated. The interior is inscribed with the text "LET VERTUE BE THY GUIDE" the text is written in a cursive script. Maker's mark: TS in Blackletter.
Judy Rudoe comments: The mark is not identifiable in any standard work of reference, but the form of the letters is very close to the TS in conjoined circles found on three BM rings (posy rings AF.1395 and 1961,1202.86 and a mourning ring of 1711, AF.1543), and which appears on the Goldsmiths' Hall mark plate of 1682. The inscription is included in the 1596 Harleian manuscript (Joan Evans, English Posies and Posy Rings, Oxford 1931, p. 69). For this reason, it seems reasonable to give this ring a pre-1711 date.
The find therefore qualifies as Treasure under the stipulations of the Treasure Act 1996 in terms of both age and precious metal content.2011-04-08 15:14:212015-07-15 14:43:07312011-03-20LET VERTUE BE THY GUIDE10Certain113636PAS4D9F183D00137F231410013EBA338E0165D0013EA168E001AEB0013EBA338E0165D5353BUCRos TyrrellGold10892CastCompleteGoodPOST MEDIEVALPMx41047p0gjgrs6sgxPOST MEDIEVALPMx41047p0gjgrs6sgxMetal detectorMs Judy RudoeMs Ros TyrrellMs Ros TyrrellCircaCirca4214238328825341421Watlington8103240693DSCN2241.JPG323Gold posey ringBuckinghamshire County Museum5images/rtyrrell/South EastCultivated landEuropean RegionCountyOxfordshireDistrictSouth OxfordshireCivil ParishReturned to finder after being disclaimed as Treasure96691