IHS-6F1E82: Templar Harness Pendant & Hanger

Rights Holder: I. Szymanski
CC License:

Image use policy

Our images can be used under a CC BY attribution licence (unless stated otherwise).


Unique ID: IHS-6F1E82

Object type certainty: Certain
Workflow status: Awaiting validation Find awaiting validation

A copper alloy circular horse-harness pendant, still attached to its T-shaped mount, which is complete, including the copper alloy fixing pin securing the pendant to the mount. Mount.has severe pitting to the front. Pendant bears a red enamelled cross paty on a central shield. This is set within a beaded circle; beyond this, an inscription, "AVE MARIA GRACIA". Some gilding remains on the pendant, also on the pendant mount. Comparison with similar pendants suggests that the area around the shield would originally have beenblue enamel, and the area of the inscription gilded. Measurements: pendant 22 mm diameter, mount 14 mm x 30 mm.


The pendant bears a design of a central cross on a shield surrounded by an inscription in Latin, AVE MARIA GRACIA. Ave Maria, gracia [plena] (Hail Mary, full of [grace]); are the opening words of the prayer known in English as the Hail Mary. The central cross paty refers, in all likelihood, to the arms of the Knights Templar, who used argent, a cross paty gules as their arms. The Knights Templar were initially formed to defend the Holy Land; after a somewhat hesitant start the Order grew rapidly, and its Houses are found across Europe. Much of the Knights' success was due to their ability to act as international bankers; their wealth resided largely in the substantial amount of land bequeathed to them by devout individuals seeking to ameliorate the fate of their souls. By no means all Knights Templar resided in the Holy Land; in common with all large organizations, the Knights had 'employees' wherever their property lay. One of the largest Templar preceptories in the area was at Faxfleet, near Hull, but smaller Houses are found throughout Yorkshire, e.g., Snainton near Malton, and a significant number of villages, including Escrick, have Templar tombs in their churches. The Order was dissolved in 1314.

Sub class: set
Inscription: AVE MARIA GRACIA (Hail Mary [full of] grace)

Subsequent actions

Subsequent action after recording: Returned to finder


Broad period: MEDIEVAL
Period from: MEDIEVAL
Period to: MEDIEVAL
Date from: AD 1200
Date to: AD 1314

Dimensions and weight

Quantity: 1
Length: 14 mm
Width: 30 mm
Diameter: 22 mm

Discovery dates

Date(s) of discovery: Thursday 1st January 1998

Personal details

Recorded by: Mrs Irene Szymanski
Identified by: Mrs Irene Szymanski

Other reference numbers

Other reference: Horsegear 63

Materials and construction

Primary material: Copper alloy
Secondary material: Enamel
Manufacture method: Cast
Completeness: Complete
Surface Treatment: Gilded

Spatial metadata

Region: Yorkshire and the Humber (European Region)
County or Unitary authority: North Yorkshire (County)
District: Ryedale (District)
Parish or ward: Leavening (Civil Parish)

References cited

No references cited so far.

Similar objects

Find number: SWYOR-5503A3
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
A copper alloy possible harness pendant probably dating from the 12th or 13th century. The pendant is circular with the suspension loop miss…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind awaiting validation

Find number: SWYOR-D8C192
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
A copper alloy harness pendant probably dating from the 13th century. The pendant is circular with a broken suspension loop. It is unusual be…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind awaiting validation

Find number: SWYOR-FE9552
Broadperiod: MEDIEVAL
A cast, copper alloy harness pendant dating from 1150-1300AD. The pendant is circular with a central motif of a shield charged with a cross…
Workflow: PublishedFind published

Timeline of associated dates

Audit data

Recording Institution: IHS
Created: 11 years ago
Updated: 2 years ago

Other formats: this page is available as qrcode json xml geojson pdf rdf representations.