Welcome to the county page for Somerset. The county has a rich archaeological and historic landscape. You can discover:
- Neolithic sites preserved in peat such as the Sweet Track dated by dendrochronology to the spring of 3806 BC.
- The largest Iron Age hillfort in the country at Ham Hill.
- During the Roman period extensive exploitation of agricultural and mineral resources. Charterhouse on Mendip, Ilchester.
- Athelney Abbey established by King Alfred the Great.
- Important medieval ecclesiastical landscapes including those belonging to Wells Cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey
- Civil War clashes and the Monmouth rebellion which led to the last pitched battle fought on English soil.
Find out how to contact us to find out more or to report archaeological objects.