This lovely gold ring, recorded as LANCUM-4DD680, was discovered in the parish of Winwick, Warrington and has been declared Treasure. The ring dates to the 14th century and consists of a gold hoop with an elaborate, decorated bezel which is inset with cobalt-blue glass. Square plates with a decorative flower sit on both shoulders of the ring. There is no makers mark and the construction would suggest that it dates to the 14th or 15th century at the latest.
Non-destructive X-ray fluorescence analysis of the metal by the British Museum’s Scientific Research section indicated a surface composition of approximately 94-95% gold, 3-4% silver, the rest being copper.
As the object is over 300 years old and the precious metal content exceeds 10% where it can be ascertained; it represents Treasure under the provisions of the Treasure Act 1996. The ring has been acquired by the Museum of Liverpool and is now on display as part of the Treasure20 display which is on the 1st floor of the museum until January.
This is not the first medieval gold ring to be declared Treasure from the parish. Another gold ring with a sapphire set into the bezel, was found in 2007 and recorded as LVPL-0330D6. The ring was inscribed with the words JOYE SANZ FYN (Joy without end) and can be dated from 1375-1425.