Carausius

Reece Period attributed: Period 14

Obverse image of a coin of Carausius

Member of the Britannic Emperors dynasty.

Coins for this issuer were issued from 286 until 293.

Marcus Aurelius Mausaeus Carausius was a military commander under Maximian and Diocletian. When the two emperors assembled a military force to fight the Franks and Saxons, Carausius held command of the fleet.

The emperors accused Carausius of taking pirate spoil for himself and resolved to punish him, but he escaped into Britain with a small force. There, he declared himself Augustus and trained the locals as sailors and soldiers.

Diocletian and Maximian failed in their attempts to squash Carausius’ reign. His rule extended far into Gaul, and in 290 the two emperors were forced to recognize his regime. In 293 Allectus, Carausius’ minister of finance, killed him and assumed power.

Latest examples recorded with images

We have recorded 1,272 examples.

PAS record number: BM-FC908E

Record: BM-FC908E
Object type: COIN
Broadperiod: ROMAN
Description: Copper alloy radiate of Carausius (AD 286-93), dating to c. AD 286-93 (Reece Period 14), uncertain reverse.
Workflow: PublishedFind validated and published by finds advisers

PAS record number: BM-FC80FC

Record: BM-FC80FC
Object type: COIN
Broadperiod: ROMAN
Description: Copper alloy radiate of Carausius (AD 286-93), dating to c. AD 286-93 (Reece Period 14), Pax standing left.
Workflow: PublishedFind validated and published by finds advisers

PAS record number: BERK-527F17

Record: BERK-527F17
Object type: COIN
Broadperiod: ROMAN
Description: A worn and incomplete copper alloy Roman radiate of Carausius, dating to the period AD 286-293. Reece period 14. SALVS AVG reverse type, uncer…
Workflow: Awaiting validationFind waiting to be validated

PAS record number: BM-50F613

Record: BM-50F613
Object type: COIN
Broadperiod: ROMAN
Description: Copper alloy contemporary copy of a radiate of Carausius (AD 286-93), dating to c. AD 286-93 (Reece Period 14), reverse unclear.
Workflow: PublishedFind validated and published by finds advisers

PAS record number: BM-5044E9

Record: BM-5044E9
Object type: COIN
Broadperiod: ROMAN
Description: Copper alloy radiate of Carausius (AD 286-93), dating to AD 286-93 (Reece Period 14), PAX AVG, Pax with branch and vertical sceptre. Unattribu…
Workflow: PublishedFind validated and published by finds advisers

Other resources about Carausius

View all coins recorded by the scheme attributed to Carausius.

Information from Wikipedia

Notable commands

    Monumental building

    • Pevensey Castle
      Pevensey Castle is a medieval castle and former Roman Saxon Shore fort at Pevensey in the English county of East Sussex. The site is a Scheduled Monument in the care of English Heritage and is open to visitors. Built around 290 AD and known to the Romans as Anderitum, the fort appears to have been the base for a Roman fleet called the Classis Anderidaensis. The reasons for its construction are unclear; long thought to have been part of a Roman defensive system to guard the British and Gallic coasts against Saxon pirates, it has more recently been suggested that Anderitum and the other Saxon Shore forts were built by a Roman usurper in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to prevent Rome from reimposing its control over Britain.Anderitum fell into ruin following the end of the Roman occupation but was reoccupied in 1066 by the Normans, for whom it became a key strategic bulwark. A stone keep and fortification was built within the Roman walls and faced several sieges. Although its garrison was twice starved into surrender, it was never successfully stormed. The castle was occupied more or less continuously until the 16th century, apart from a possible break in the early 13th century when it was slighted. It had been abandoned again by the late 16th century and remained a crumbling, partly overgrown ruin until it was acquired by the State in 1925.Pevensey Castle was reoccupied between 1940 and 1945, during the Second World War, when it was garrisoned by units from the Home Guard, the British and Canadian armies and the United States Army Air Corps. Machine-gun posts were built into the Roman and Norman walls to control the flat land around Pevensey and guard against the threat of a German invasion. They were left in place after the war and can still be seen today.
    • Pevensey Castle
      Pevensey Castle is a medieval castle and former Roman Saxon Shore fort at Pevensey in the English county of East Sussex. The site is a Scheduled Monument in the care of English Heritage and is open to visitors. Built around 290 AD and known to the Romans as Anderitum, the fort appears to have been the base for a fleet called the Classis Anderidaensis. The reasons for its construction are unclear; long thought to have been part of a Roman defensive system to guard the British and Gallic coasts against Saxon pirates, it has more recently been suggested that Anderitum and the other Saxon Shore forts were built by a Roman usurper in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to prevent Rome from reimposing its control over Britain.Anderitum fell into ruin following the end of the Roman occupation but was reoccupied in 1066 by the Normans, for whom it became a key strategic bulwark. A stone keep and fortification was built within the Roman walls and faced several sieges. Although its garrison was twice starved into surrender, it was never successfully stormed. The castle was occupied more or less continuously until the 16th century, apart from a possible break in the early 13th century when it was slighted. It had been abandoned again by the late 16th century and remained a crumbling, partly overgrown ruin until it was acquired by the state in 1925.Pevensey Castle was reoccupied between 1940 and 1945, during the Second World War, when it was garrisoned by units from the Home Guard, the British and Canadian armies and the United States Army Air Corps. Machine-gun posts were built into the Roman and Norman walls to control the flat land around Pevensey and guard against the threat of a German invasion. They were left in place after the war and can still be seen today.

    This page is available in: xml json rdf representations.

    Social Bookmarking: